My friends in energy efficiency have been patiently waiting for granite to fall out of favor as the sexiest way to improve your home, and add value when you sell.
So the good news is that the 2013 Realtor & Remodeling Magazine Cost vs. Value Report shows that the ol’ kitchen remodel (minor) is 6th overall, major kitchen remodel was 17th nationally and bath remodel was 19th.
The bad news is that it’s siding, doors and windows commanding this year’s Top 10.
1. Entry Door Replacement (steel)
2. Siding Replacement (fiber-cement)
4. Garage Door Replacement (mid-range)
5. Garage Door Replacement (upscale)
7. Window Replacement (wood, mid-range)
8. Siding Replacement (foam-backed vinyl, upscale)
9. Window Replacement (vinyl, upscale)
10. Window Replacement (wood, upscale)
Ouch! But actually replacement projects like this year’s winners have been stronger than remodeling projects (the granite!) since the market started to turn in 2005.
For the efficiency contractor the silver lining has to be that if curb appeal can be sexy, the sexiness of the building science behind the best installs can’t be that far away!