The 2011 Cost vs. Value report by Remodeling and Realtor magazines looks at 35 remodeling projects to compare costs vs. resale value in today’s market. As I mentioned in my previous blog post, 21 out of the 35 projects offer a slam-dunk opportunity to improve home energy performance while improving the home as well.
Top 10 Projects and the related energy-savings opportunity:
- Fiber Cement siding replacement (#1, 78% costs recouped) – Air seal, add house wrap and foam board
- Entry door replacement (#2, 73% recouped) – Caulk tightly
- Add attic bedroom (#3, 72.5% recouped) – Air seal, insulate and ventilate
- Upscale Vinyl siding replacement (#8, 69.6% recouped) – Foam insulation built in!
- Vinyl siding replacement (#9, 69.5% recouped) – See Fiber Cement above
- Wood window replacement (#10, 69.1% recouped) – Insist on air-tight installation
The online comparison tool is a handy way to zero in on these projects and bake in some energy savings. Remodeling time is the best time to add energy efficiency. Adding insulation and sealing air leaks is far cheaper and less disruptive when walls are already open, than as stand-alone projects. Steps like this commonly save 10-30% in energy use!
Don’t miss an opportunity to beautify or expand your home and enjoy money savings long afterward!